Saturday, October 29, 2011

This past week has been marked by hullabaloo over Rina(!!!), but after stocking up on candles, potable water, and ebooks, it turned out to be nothing. A little bit of rain, but less even than we had the week before.

I think one of the cool things about living here is how big a role nature seems to play - which, I suppose, is also sort of the case in Minnesota, but in a far different way. In Minnesota we (me?) do everything we can to avoid it. The weather's freezing so we (me) stay bundled up inside the house, in this little magic bubble that's completely different from what's going on outside. In Coz there's pretty much no way to avoid it. I have AC, but haven't used in probably a month or two. On sunny days I know I'm going to be glisteny and on rainy days - the really rainy days - I'm either housebound or going to have to wade through shin-deep puddles in order to get anywhere. A lot of what I do here for fun involves being outside, so I get to be quite dependent on what the sky has in mind for me on any particular day. I kind of like it, though. Living next to the sea probably has something to do with it too, but it makes you more aware that you actually live on a planet, not a series of climate-controlled greenhouses separated by cars. Although I would never make the mistake of calling anything in Minnesota a greenhouse, letsbereal.

Anyway, so I spent a couple days with my books and lit candles because, come on, I bought them, I want some mood lightning whether my electricity's out or not. Classes were canceled on Thursday and numbers dwindled to a point that the day before teachers Lizzie and Donnamarie got sent home four hours early while I helped make phone calls with América and Fermín, accompanied by walking allergen Layla. Or something like that, I'm not really sure of the name, but the other day this evil cat walked into my room where I was helping out Braulio and Diego after class had finished, and wee'd on Braulio's backpack. More or less a slow reverse ass motion and I busted out laughing, a proud display of the fact that my maturity level is on par with the two 14-year-old boys.

This happened earlier that day as well when I asked my students to describe two little boys in a picture and one student answered that they were skinny, African baby cereals. He meant serious. And he's not so good with his noun-adjective orders. I worry sometimes that I'm going to give my students a complex when they goof up their English, but it's just so damn funny! Mono, in a proud display of his own English abilities, wrote to me saying "Happy 3th Anniversary." This, by the way, was written on a bomb which was on its way to being exploded by the Mexican Air Force. Yeah, keep it up dude.

Not sure any of that qualifies as news but that's all I've got to report.

Happy Halloween!!!! And if you're looking to take a trip in the last week of December get in touch, I want a travel buddy.


No comments:

Post a Comment