Sunday, September 11, 2011

The other day I had a very eye-opening lesson. The class featured Mike, a fictional man I cut out from a magazine and whose mysterious past my students had to guess using "used to". Mike used to be... a woman, there you go. What followed was a discussion on the differences between men and women. Here is what my adult students had to say about it:

"The women is very beautiful and she like rabbits."
"Men like to hit women." (This I think was intended as a joke please god.)
"The woman are delicate and the man like to drink beer."
"The men like to watch two women have the sex."

The author of this last one evidently was not intending for me to read it as he visibly panicked when I picked it up to make corrections. Later when the students shared what they had written Juan Carlos artfully changed the sentence to read "The men like to watch two women dance," resulting in me laughing my ass off along with the author and two other guys in the class who evidently didn't buy that as the original line. It was a very professional moment in my teaching career. Also professional was when a kids class student showed up late one day and was walked in by his mother. I didn't realize she was standing there because I had my back to the door and was bent over duct-taping Francisco to his seat.

This is my classroom. I have it decorated with pictures of places I've lived as well as a team photo of Joe's baseball team. Lizards like to climb up my walls and this past week there was one chilling out in the back corner. Estefany switched to the opposite side of the room, apparently afraid, but when I confessed to her in relief that I too am creeped out by them, she looked confused before explaining to me that she had changed seats so as to be farther
away from my boss Matthew, who the day before had decided to replace Nora and take over the half hour práctica lesson following my class. Understandable.

No comments:

Post a Comment