Thursday, January 20, 2011


Vacation was a billion years ago.

My students since I've been back have been squirrels. Uncontrollable nutcases not only with me but with the other teachers as well. Yesterday a normally calm Pilar stamped her foot while she was shouting at a 4th of E.S.O. class to stop talking. Not a planned stamp, but one born of desperation.

In another class I had a student ask me: "Cómo se dice los partes sexuales del hombre?" In case I didn't understand what they were referring to, the speaker proceeded to demonstrate his question with a pen and various other strategically-placed school supplies. I told them they needed to ask Pilar that question when they went back to her class, but one helpful student piped in. "Dick!"

Second quarter Masters classes just ended on Thursday, meaning lots of last-minute scrambling to finish projects and papers and presentations. I finally chose my Thesis topic, inspired by one of my newly completed courses, and will be researching Spanish Linguistics in Latin America. It's a terrible idea because I spend most of my time staring at maps and checking Skyscanner for flights and picturing myself on the beach in Colombia or in Mexico or in Uruguay, sunblock, book and umbrella drink in hand. I've been spending an inordinate amount of time on the ESL Job Boards which keep telling me that the best way to get a job is to book a flight, show up, and look for one when you get there. Which, I mean.. maybe I could think of it as an adventure? Today I applied for a teaching position in Colombia at the little gem of a city featured in the photo at the top, and who knows, maybe they'll take pity.

Aside from that, nothing new except BRITTANEY'S COMING TO VISIT IN APRIL!!! We have some excellent things planned.

You know what I'm talking about Brittaney.

No comments:

Post a Comment